Krishna Sampath, Accelerated MBA '09
Krishna Sampath, Accelerated MBA 09

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Johnson MBA in these tough times

I am back after a long hiatus. I apologize for the not having blogged for a few months, but will regularly do so going forward. Given the grim economic situation, I am sure that many prospective students are thinking if joining an MBA program this year or in the near future is a good idea. To be truthful, that very thought has crossed my mind several times over the past few months. When I applied for the program in October 2007, I did not know what was going to happen. Even when Lehmann brothers collapsed, I was hopeful that the market would rebound in a few months, and that we would be spared of a long recession. However my worst fears have come true and it is going to be a long road ahead for all of us. But it is this long road that has forced me to contemplate about my decision to attend business school and reflect on how a Cornell MBA fits into the “grand” scheme of things. The first conclusion that I have come to is that I am definitely better off today than I was 10 months ago before I started the AMBA program at the Johnson School. I have learnt to analyze complex business problems in a structured manner. The various courses that I have taken have broadened my thought process and stimulated my intellect. In a nutshell, an MBA from the Johnson School has given me the flexibility to look beyond engineering, and will open many doors down the road. Had it not been for the AMBA program, I would still be in my engineering silo, severely limited by the opportunities that would have been available for me. Most importantly, I have developed friendships that will last me a lifetime. The tough economy has only strengthened these relationships, and the camaraderie gives me hope that all will be well soon.
It is very easy for all of us to become lulled into false sense of security, that we are somehow insulated from what is happening around us. An MBA in these tough times might seem risky, but it will open a multitude of career opportunities, like it has for me. Yes, none of us know when the bad times will end, but it is certain that these bad times cannot last forever. And when the bad times do end, I know I will be “battle hardened” and ready to make my mark in the business world. I cannot be happier with my decision to pursue the AMBA program at the Johnson School and would invite the prospective students to take the plunge as well. I promise that you will not be disappointed.